Dave Ward, who first joined ABC’s KTRK-Channel 13 in 1966, today hosts “Dave Ward’s Houston,” a series on ABC13 that explores the people, places and events that make this city so special. Ward, known for being “the most trusted voice in Houston,” held the Guinness World Records title as the longest running local TV-news anchor at the same TV station in a major market.
Working with Jim McGrath, co-author of numerous high-profile memoirs, Ward shares the full depth of his notable experience. In fascinating detail, he:
● Covers his legendary 60-year career as radio and TV newsman in Houston – dating back to before the JFK assassination
● Takes readers on the news set and behind the scenes of America’s most successful local news team, including his personal history with Marvin Zindler
● Chronicles the growth and development of the U.S. space program
● Invites readers to experience life on the road with Houston Oilers during the “Luv Ya Blue” era
● Provides candid revelations of his personal struggles
● Shares his escapes from death, including 1974 motorcycle crash, 2003 car crash and 2016 heart attack
In addition to his experience covering wars in Vietnam and the Middle East, presidential elections and historic natural disasters, Ward provides Houstonians with an understanding of the booms and busts on the way to becoming America’s fourth largest and most diverse city.
In addition to his news career, Ward played an instrumental role in establishing Crime Stoppers of Houston, the city’s top non-profit dedicated to public safety. In 2017 the organization opened a three-story 28,000 square foot building named after the former ABC13 anchor. The facility, titled “Dave Ward Building, Crime Stoppers of Houston,” serves as a central hub for Crime Stoppers operations, volunteers, staff, victims, law enforcement, media and community programming.
This long-awaited book, with a foreword by former President George H.W. Bush, captures the heart of Houston and the man who has told its stories, investigated its problems and presented news in a clear and unbiased way over 60 years of constant change.
About Jim McGrath:
Jim McGrath started his writing career at The White House, working as a staff writer and editor in the Executive Office of the President from 1991 to 1993. Today, he continues to serve President George H. W. Bush as his post-White House spokesman.
Good Evening, Friends
Bright Sky Publishing
Available May 2019
6” x 9”, b/w, 400 pp, $29.95
Bright Sky Publishing, 2365 Rice Blvd. #202, Houston, TX 77005