Good Evening, Friends: A Broadcaster Shares His Life
Bright Sky Publishing is delighted to announce the May 6, 2019 book launch for Good Evening, Friends: A Broadcaster Shares His Life, a memoir of Houston’s iconic and beloved Eyewitness news anchor Dave Ward.
Mr. Ward, who first joined ABC’s KTRK-Channel 13 in 1966, today hosts “Dave Ward’s Houston,”
a series on ABC13 that explores the people, places and events that make
this city so special. Ward, known for being “the most trusted voice in
Houston,” held the Guinness World Records title as the longest running local TV-news anchor at the same TV station in a major market.
Working with Jim McGrath, co-author of numerous high-profile memoirs, Ward shares the full depth of his notable experience. In fascinating detail, he:
● Covers his legendary 60-year career as radio and TV newsman in Houston – dating back to before the JFK assassination
● Takes readers on the news set and behind the scenes of America’s most successful local news team, including his personal history with Marvin Zindler
● Chronicles the growth and development of the U.S. space program
● Invites readers to experience life on the road with Houston Oilers during the “Luv Ya Blue” era
● Provides candid revelations of his personal struggles
● Shares his escapes from death, including 1974 motorcycle crash, 2003 car crash and 2016 heart attack
In addition to his experience covering wars in Vietnam and the Middle
East, presidential elections and historic natural disasters, Ward
provides Houstonians with an understanding of the booms and busts on the
way to becoming America’s fourth largest and most diverse city.
In addition to his news career, Ward played an instrumental role in
establishing Crime Stoppers of Houston, the city’s top non-profit
dedicated to public safety. In 2017 the organization opened a
three-story 28,000 square foot building named after the former ABC13
anchor. The facility, titled “Dave Ward Building, Crime Stoppers of
Houston,” serves as a central hub for Crime Stoppers operations,
volunteers, staff, victims, law enforcement, media and community
This long-awaited book, with a foreword by former President George H.W. Bush, captures the heart of Houston and the man who has told its stories, investigated its problems and presented news in a clear and unbiased way over 60 years of constant change.
About Jim McGrath:
Jim McGrath started his writing career at The White House, working as a staff writer and editor in the Executive Office of the President from 1991 to 1993, and served as President and Mrs. George H. W. Bush’s post-White House spokesman. Today, he serves as vice president of The George and Barbara Bush Foundation.
Good Evening, Friends
Bright Sky Publishing
Available May 2019
6” x 9”, b/w, 400 pp, $29.95
Bright Sky Publishing, 2365 Rice Blvd. #202, Houston, TX 77005 brightskypublishing.org